Sunday, March 14, 2010

Be My Baby

or How I Talked The Boy Into Letting Me Buy Another Machine

I’ve recently experienced some frustration with the computerized Viking I received from my mother-in-law a few years ago. While I do appreciate it, and it is a far better machine than the one I had been using since high school, at times I feel it is unnecessarily complex. I’ve accepted that this is likely due to user error and decided to take a break.

Then I read Gertie's post on button pressers vs. knob turners, and something clicked. Perhaps the problem is simply an incompatibility between my innate love of knob turning and a button operated machine. I half-heartedly lusted after a newer mechanical like the Bernina 1008, but knew that it would be months before I could afford one.
Peter's post about vintage sewing machines came shortly after that, and prompted to me to scour Craigslist like a madwoman.

And that, ladies and gentlemen, is how I found my new baby. I’d like to introduce the newest addition to my family – a Singer Slant-O-Matic 500A Rocketeer.

I have yet to meet her, as a dear family friend is holding her until we can get to the other side of the state (Thank you again, Candy!). I think Peter may have been on to something; the anticipation is a bit like waiting to meet a child. I just keep looking at her picture and I am and positively giddy.

3 comments:

  1. Hi Sparkledonkey! Good luck with the new baby! I'm so pleased that my article about the WR pledge inspired you, are you going to sign up? You best get your hands on that machine soon! Good luck and happy sewing
    Zoe x

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Sparkledonkey, it's Zoe again! Congrats on getting that pattern so cheap, I really wish I lived in the US sometimes, I'm way too embarassed to tell you how much I paid for mine including shipping! Thanks so much for the offer of pattern hunting for me in the future, that's very sweet of you and good to know. You're a star

    Zoe x

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great machine. I have the Singer 401a. Same color scheme, but slightly different body shape.

    ReplyDelete